The Castlethorpe Charity for the Poor/Church was constituted in 1894 by Lady (Dame Bridget) Tyrrill to provide for both the Poor of Castlethorpe and for the Church and is registered with the Charities Commission under no. 233681.
A copy of the 1894 document shows that the Trustees may use their discretion to provide for items such as “…coal, clothing, linen, bedding, fuel, tools, medical or aid in Sickness, Food or other articles in kind…” and “…temporary relief in money, by way of loan or otherwise, in cases of unexpected loss or sudden destitution…”.
The Charity continues to administer the income in the spirit of the original intent and determines from time-to-time the criteria for the beneficiaries. Currently this is that a potential beneficiary satisfies that they have lived in the village for at least two years, are 65 years of age or over, live alone and are not working.
The Charity’s income is derived principally from the agricultural land known as Poor’s Piece which is situated immediately after Lodge Cottages on the right-hand side of the Wolverton Road when leaving the village towards Haversham. Other periodic income is from a wayleave from power suppliers who have a service pole on the land.
Any enquiries to the Trustees should be directed to Fr Gary.